Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Long Lomg Time Ago......

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
- B.B. King

I was blessed to have two of the most dear, creative Grandmothers in the world, Lillian and Cordia. My Grandmother Lillian taught me to knit when I was 14. That pretty much means I have 36 years of experience. Years in which muscle memory took over and things became second nature. In 1980, I lived in a German farmhouse, in the tiny village of Turkheim Germany, on the third floor. A friend named Ursula, Ush for short, taught me to knit socks without a pattern. My first pair was the softest gray German yarn and I wore them until I must have looked like a pauper. Fast forward, quite a few years later (okay, you got me...almost three decades), to modern day South Dakota. I went to Urgent Care on Sunday to find I was a pretty sick woman. I have been on antibiotics and sleeping most of the time since. This was my falling down moment for the new sock pattern on the circular needles. Let's just say, the circulars and the new pattern have gone by the wayside for a little while until I feel well again and have more patience to try and retrain these hands. It must be an old dog-new tricks kind of thing. So....instead of showing you socks...how about I show you the shawl I have been working on for my Mother....Dad...don't show her this post. My Mother refuses to use the computer, so I think I am safe there. Her favorite color is blue. You will find the book the pattern came out of in a post further down. I am feeling much better and I am going back to work tomorrow! Watch out guys...

I have a wonderful friend out west. She hand dyes the most beautiful fabrics. She has a website now that I would love to share with you, Nette's Quilting Fabrics. I will be adding her name to my sidebar for favorite artisans. No one will ever appear there unless I have tried their things and I have to absolutely love them! Check her out and tell her I said hi....

No comments: